When we start to learn stringing the letters, coming up with words right off the top of your head can be tricky. Ever since I aspire to learn calligraphy, I’ve always wanted to write an A-to-Z of pastry in Copperplate, because, sigh, they’re such dainty words.
An ideal list should, of course, inspire you personally. Anyone learning to write will ultimately start off by doing their name. It’s practical, too, I suppose, since you’re going to write it many, many times in your life. The list should also contain all the letters in the alphabet, and the words shouldn’t be too short. If this list should have a theme that is something to your liking, it will really inspire you more than just practising. That’s why I’m sharing my own lists and I encourage you to come up with your own (and share them in comments, if you like!)
Pangrams are a different story, although they’re quite fun to make, too. A good pangram must contain all the letters in the alphabet and arranged so that it makes sense, somewhat. A great pangram will contain as little number of letters (short) as possible while still using the alphabet.
You can print off these lists or just copy them into your phone or tablet for reference. I’ve started every word with a capital letter, but remember, you can always write with a lower case. If there’s more than one word for a letter, you can use them all or pick your favourite. For some of the wanting letters, I have filled them as best as I can – either by placing the words that use the letter somewhere, or a word that’s somewhat related to the theme. I will continually update this post with new lists too, so enjoy practising!
Get your calligraphy questions answered!
What are the things that will make your life easier on your calligraphy journey? What you are wondering about, unsure about, want to know more about, whatever you wish someone could explain to you about learning calligraphy – ask away. By asking questions I will then answer in blog posts, you also help others learn! Write me personally now!
- Calligraphy – just writing these words make you a better calligrapher, guaranteed.
- Patisserie – my first ever list. Makes you feel like walking into a boulangerie.
- Italian food – Practice this one in an Italian sidewalk cafe
- Fruits – Tutty fruity words
- Joy – attract all those positive energy with these many words for that happy feeling.
- Virtues – Good characters to condone
- Travel – go around the world with this dreamy destinations.
- Love endearment – When you’re feeling lovey dovey
- Christmas – For the joy and cheer of holidays
- Colours – so many ways to describe all shades of the rainbow!
- Gemstones – let your calligraphy shine through these precious words
- Astronomy – star light, star bright… word list for the dreamy stargazers!
- Yoga – Just inhale, exhale and write
- Authors – Book nerds enjoy! Good for practising actual people’s names
- Medieval fantasy – Excellent word list for practising Uncial
- Greek – Greek names perfect for Roman capitals.
- Egypt – Egypt mythology is so epic!
Potterphile alert! Yes I do love Harry Potter, and there are so many of these magical words it’s pretty easy to fill a few alphabets and make a dozen pangrams.
- Harry Potter – characters – spoiler free names! Try not to cry on certain letters.
- Harry Potter – spells – what could be more wizardy than an alphabet of spells?
- Harry Potter – Pangrams – I had so much fun braintwisting these.